“Huh, what?” Did you know Meerkats were discovered in 1776? Let’s hope your website content isn’t that old! Ok, I’m exaggerating to make a point.
But really, when was the last time you updated your content?
If your website has inaccurate information, lacks value or doesn’t reflect your current brand positioning it’s hurting your business. This includes outdated store or operating hours, discontinued products or services, etc.
So what’s wrong with having some old content?
Not only will you have trouble ranking organically on Google, but you run the risk of someone making decisions based on outdated information, and then blaming you for it (and let’s face it…sorry to say, but it is your fault).
Outdated content can tarnish your reputation and you can lose business and sales.
Example…Just recently I had to pick up my daughter’s contact lenses. I went to the Dr.’s website and it said they are open on Saturdays from 9am – 12pm. Great, right? No! I called the night before to confirm (because yes…so many small businesses forget to update this particular content) and was told they are not open on Saturdays “anymore.” Something so simple can turn clients off. Let’s remember, you never get second chance to make a first impression.
What is considered outdated content?
- copyright date is old, i.e. “Copyright 2018”
- your last blog was three years ago
- not mobile-responsive and doesn’t display properly on all devices, i.e. smart phone
- old fonts, lagging animation and antiquated Flash
- slow page load times
- cluttered design and hard to navigate
- outdated social media icons
- no call-to-action or lead magnet on your main page
If any of these apply to you, it’s time to re-evaluate your content strategy and fix it.
How can this be fixed?
- reorganize your content so it’s easy to skim and read, i.e. use headlines, bullet points, numbered lists, etc.
- make it visual with images, graphs, etc., rather than explaining in lengthy paragraphs
- tell a story vs. boring data and include client testimonials to connect with visitors
- add excitement with attention-grabbing words to convey what you offer, vs. complex technical jargon
- keep it current with new blogs and news that focuses on the readers’ needs, not your company
- upgrade to the latest technology to ensure content displays properly, fast load times and has intuitive navigation
- create a lead magnet to capture visitors’ emails by offering a free eGuide, 10% off voucher, etc.
With some creative thinking, you can create engaging content that is share-worthy and high-converting to both your short and long-term goals.
Photo by Alexas Fotos from Pexels
If you’re one of the many small business owners in need of a redesign, you’ll need to understand your next step.
That’s why we created our FREE eGuide Before hiring a web designer, read this!
It includes the top 10 questions every small business owner should ask.
Get your free eGuide today.
This is our way of helping small businesses, and paying-it-forward.
Our goal is to help accelerate your success.
We’re here to help…
As always, we welcome you to reach out to us for more information, as well as a FREE, no-obligation consultation.
Best regards, until next time!
Founder and Chief Consultant
Exceller Marketing, Inc.
Exceller Marketing is a boutique-style, full-service web design and digital marketing agency in Westchester County, NY We empower small businesses and entrepreneurs with outstanding web design and expert digital marketing services that keep our clients ahead of their competition.
Click on the buttons below to share this blog on your social media: